Announcing the 2022 Young Artists’ Competition
The Racine Symphony Orchestra is pleased to invite all students studying orchestral instruments or piano in grades 9-12 to compete in the 2022 Racine Symphony Orchestra’s Young Artists’ Competition.
The first-place winner will perform with the Racine Symphony on the April 10, 2022 Masterworks Concert. Cash Prizes will be awarded as follows: First place $800, Second place $600 and Third Place $400.
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS:
- We welcome applicants from Racine County, as well as current students of Racine Symphony Orchestra musicians.
- Students studying piano, string (including harp and classical guitar), wind, brass, and percussion instruments are invited to apply for this competition.
- Repertoire must be a concerto from the standard orchestral repertoire and readily available.
- Final musical selections are subject to approval by the Orchestra’s Artistic Director, Pasquale Laurino.
- Performance time for the competition is a required single, full movement of the selected concerto.
- Memorization is not required, but recommended.
- Auditions must be performed with piano accompaniment. Contestants must provide their own accompanist.
- Contestants must furnish four copies of the solo part of the audition piece for the judges’ use.
- No changes in repertoire are allowed after approval.
- Competitors should plan to be present at least 30 minutes before their assigned audition time.
- The Competition will take place regardless of weather conditions.
- The judges will select first, second and third place winners.
- Applications must be postmarked no later than Friday, January 14, 2022.
The first-place winner must be available to perform as guest soloist with the RSO at the April 10, 2022 concert (3:00pm), including all rehearsals on April 5, 7, and 8 (7:30pm).
Family, teachers, and friends of competing musicians are invited to attend the competition free-of-charge on Sunday, February 13 beginning at 1:00 pm. Please be aware there may be required covid-19 safety restrictions due to the RSO and/or UW-Parkside.
Contact heather@racinesymphony or 262-636-9285 for more information or questions.
Application materials below.