Announcing the 2021 Young Artists’ Competition
The Racine Symphony Orchestra is pleased to invite all students studying orchestral instruments or piano in grades 9-12 to compete in the 2021 Racine Symphony Orchestra’s Young Artists’ Competition.
The first-place winner will perform with the Racine Symphony at our April 18, 2021 Masterworks Concert. Cash Prizes will be awarded as follows: First place $500, second place $300 and third place $100.
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS:
FIRST ROUND – VIDEO SUBMISSION
- We welcome applications from Racine, Kenosha
,and Walworth counties as well as students of Racine Symphony Orchestra members.
- Students studying piano and string instruments (including harp and classical guitar), are invited to apply for this Competition.
- Competitors are not limited to any set repertoire, however, Class A WSMA or
- equivalent is recommended. The piece must be a standard orchestral repertoire, readily available
,and appropriate for a chamber ensemble.
- All musical selections are subject to approval by the Orchestra’s Artistic Director, Pasquale Laurino.
- Performance time for the Competition is limited to 10 minutes. Please make cuts as necessary to accommodate the time allotment.
- Memorization is not required but strongly recommended.
- First Round Auditions do not require piano accompaniment.
- No changes in repertoire are allowed after approval.
- Videos must be submitted by Sunday, January 31. If you require assistance creating a video, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students will be notified of First Round results no later than Friday, February 5, 2021.
FINAL ROUND – IN PERSON AUDITIONS
- Final Round Auditions will be performed with piano accompaniment. Contestants must provide their own accompanist.
- Contestants must furnish two copies of the solo part of the audition piece for the judges’ use.
- Competitors should plan to be present at least 30 minutes before their assigned
- audition time.
- The Competition will take place regardless of weather conditions.
- Three judges will select first, second and third place winners.
- Family and friends are not allowed in Bedford Hall during the competition.
- Facemasks, social distancing
,and UW-Parkside safety protocols are required at the Final Round Auditions.
The first-place winner must be available to perform as a guest soloist with the symphony at the April 18, 2021 Concert. This performance may be virtual or live, depending on the public health situation at the time.
Application materials below.
Contact beth@racinesymphony with questions.